Welcome to the website for the campaign for a Shipley Town Council
The campaign steering group was formed in January 2018. We are working to raise awareness that a Town Council could strengthen Shipley’s position within the British system of representative democracy.
We will be asking Shipley residents on the electoral register to sign a petition to Bradford Metropolitan District Council for a Governance Review. If this review shows sufficient support for a Shipley Town Council, then elections will be held for Town Councillors. This could happen as soon as May 2019.
Shipley is a distinctive and large township, but we need a voice to speak up for what matters to local people, and to say what can be done. A Shipley Town Council would be that voice.
Government cuts in funding to local authorities are bringing reduced provision for youth work, libraries, maintenance of parks and roads, and closure of amenities such as public toilets.
A town council that is close to the people will be in a great position to identify the issues that most concern Shipley folk, and to address them through constructive partnerships with Bradford Council, local businesses and the voluntary sector.
Town Councils raise money through a “precept” on the council tax. Also in law, town councils can borrow to support local voluntary and community organisations.
Town councils have the right to be consulted on local planning applications – this means the Shipley view on proposed local developments must be heard.
Whether or not you are in favour of a Shipley Town Council, please take time to:
- Read our manifesto and the “frequently asked questions” section.
- Let us know your concerns and priorities for how you would like to improve Shipley.
- Talk to friends and neighbours about how best to enhance our environment.
- Attend the public meetings we will be organising in your area
If you are in favour, then:
- Sign our petition to ask for a Shipley Town Council
- Consider join our steering group (our constitution is available to read)